Friday, November 23, 2012

Warm Strawberry Cake and A Cool Mom Story


Before I had a baby and we were just – I mean just about beginning to think about going the family way; I used to imagine how I’ll be as a mother.

Not that I could imagine myself to be anywhere near my mom.

My mother's hair falls below her waist. Her forehead decked by a bid red bindi. A typical red and white bangle adorns her hand indicating that she is tied in the holy matrimony of marriage. She sings while she cooks and I think that’s what adds that magic touch to her food. The whole appearance boasts of an ideal Indian woman.Me, on the other hand would cut a sorry picture in my sweats, messy kitchen and out of tune singing. This unmatched comparison somewhere told me that I need to change the tracks of my dream.

 I decided to me a super cool momma. Decided that I’ll cut most barrier of the R.U.L.E.S. Things which used to put me off at say when I was six  or my thirteen year old brain hated.

Oh like if you want to wear your red shoes with yellow pants and purple sweat, go ahead do those type of mom. What so embarrassing about it, you are three and have right to behave your age.

Oh like you are twelve and want to wear a little high heel. Do it . Just don’t complain when you fall. In fact I’ll buy you one of you like, of course -with a warning that I’ll not be hearing the twisted ankle tale afterwards.

I was definitely a cool mom – unless of course till the reality struck me.

Since this is not happening, and I desperately want to keep up to my cool mom tag, let me just do this instead....warm strawberry cake with clotted cream.

Am I not cool enough?

Strawberry Cake



Ingredients

6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar + a 2 tbsp extra for dusting the berries
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk at room temprature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup strawberries, hulled and halved

Preheat oven 180°C. Grease your cake pan well and keep aside.

Whisk all dry ingredients together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl al the wet ones go in.  once done, add dry mixture gradually, mixing both until just smooth.

Pour into prepared cake pan. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter as well as in thebottom,  in a single layer .Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.

Bake cake for 40 minutes at 180 C(325 F) or until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minute. Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Serve with whipped cream.
Sending this entry to Bake Fest, CooksJoy

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Haha I don't think I'll be above getting cool mom status through baking. This cake looks fabulous!

pinkóci said...

Wow, this cake looks yo summy! I love it ^^ And I adore for indian cuisine, mainly the nepalian.
Can you offer me something special?

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This