Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Going nuts on Holi - Boiled Peanut Salad


 


 Holi is a synonym for spring to me.  A time for family and friends, flowers , colors, gujias, gulab-jamuns and endorphin rushing songs that only get played ‘on a loudspeaker mode’ just this time of the year. 

I love the spirit of the festival- and I don’t even play with colours. I run the risk of sounding like a snooty auntie who sniggers at the colors and hauls the holiday hullabaloo.  That’s sincerely not me. I’m plain shy. Just  one of those people who will stand in one corner of the apartment bacony , careful enough not to be seen, yet seizing the colourful moments from the tiny curtain opening. Once its all done, I’ll go and reward myself with a Gujiya .


Do you think that there is anything that echoes with Holi, more than the abundant servings of Gujiya, Sewain kheer or a desi celebratory salad? Yes of course , it’s the hip gyrating holi numbers in Amitabh Bacchans throaty baritone blaring from the society loudspeakers. Maybe for me the Holi magic comes from these catchy once-a-year wonders that stick in your head and feel good, perhaps only while taking a big mouthful of the freshly made spiced peanut salad with a spoon that’s a bit stained with gulal.

Bura na mano Holi hai.

No, I’m not about to present a festival sweet recipe. Today is a shortcut day. Spring cleaning for guests has taken most of my time. So it’s a short cut colourful savory and oh so healthy peanut salad day. Are you game?

Boiled Peanut Salad 


Ingredients:
1.5 cups boiled peanuts
1 cucumber diced
1 fresh tomato diced
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2-3 green chillies 
2-3 sprigs coriander leaves
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
t tbsb lemon juice(to serve)

Method:
Pressure cook the peanuts in salted water till soft but firm , not mushy. Cool to room temperature. Next toss all the other  ingredients(except lemon juice) together. I sometimes add dried prunes or raisins, but that's optional. just before serving add freshly squeezed lemon juice. As simple as it can get.

3 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a gorgeous salad! Definitely a new combination of ingredients for me, but I'm ready to dive in with a fork :)

Unknown said...

Happy holi dear......The salad is bookmarked...:)

Joanne said...

I really want to participate in holi someday...it just seems like so much fun!

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This